User Experience Designer
Wikimedia Foundation via Jobspresso
Aug 8th 2018
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. We operate one of the world's top ten websites and have global reach and impact. Technology and innovation is critical in our quest to support every human in sharing knowledge.
Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a UX Designer to join our Design team
This role is primarily focused on Wikipedia's Android App. Wikimedia Foundation is planning on introducing contribution features to our native app experiences. Wikipedia's Android app is used by millions of readers and editors. With consistent high ratings, it has been featured by Google Play store numerous times.
As a designer, you will be responsible for conceiving and executing on Wikipedia's product features for the Android app. You will be working with a set of talented designers to create and maintain these experiences. You will also be part of contributing to the design system and guidelines that we maintain.
- Create experiences that go beyond good design into delighting users
- Reduce, simplify, distill
- See features through from ideas on paper to implementation
- Use evaluative and generative research to inform your design decisions
- Interact with our communities from the beginning to end of your design process
- Work with our growing team of designers to create reusable design patterns
- Be an active part of the development team throughout the product process
- Distill complex concepts into simple, easy to understand talking points to effectively articulate your vision with your team and the communities
- Be the voice of design in developing product plans
The right person is better than the right set of experiences, these are the traits we've identified make great additions to our team so far.
- Have great instincts for making design decisions and be able to support your choices with research and data
- Being able to perform evaluative research
- A thorough understanding of Google's Material design and android design conventions
- Ability to tell stories that convey your design goals both internally to team members and to stakeholders
- Have a creative vision of your own while being able to work within the bounds of what is possible, and imagine what can come next
- 3+ years of experience contributing on design teams
- Know when to switch from blue sky ideation to tactical thinking
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related work experience
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Background in content consumption and curation
- Understanding of basics of Android Application Development
- Experience acting as a researcher, both in-person and with remote participants
- Have familiarity with Free and Open Source communities
- Speak more than one of the 286 languages of the users you'll be designing for
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location