350.org via We Work Remotely
Apr 16th 2019
Headquarters: Brooklyn,New York
350.org is looking for a UI/UX designer to boost our capacity to serve the climate movement by designing, testing, iterating and improving the interface of 350's digital tools and platforms. Working closely with a product manager and web developers to build high-quality, impactful, and inclusive user experiences for climate activists around the world.
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We're committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
About the Product Team:
The Product Team at 350.org is a new unit formed to better support our amazing community of campaigners and volunteers throughout the world via technology, and we're seeking both strategy and tactical-minded professionals to join this team in its first stages of development. That means not just people who are great technologists, but strategic thinkers who can help us build, integrate and continue to innovate systems to be used across the organisation. Are you looking for a dynamic, creative team that is evolving to better support activists doing incredible work?
About the UI/UX Designer
As the climate justice movement grows fast across the world, we are looking for new ways to engage diverse audiences. So much of our organising and campaigning happens through our digital platforms, and it's crucial that the people using our systems have an intuitive, efficient and pleasing experience — which is where this role comes in.
This is a new position that will add a much-needed user-centric perspective to our team. Wordpress, a custom-developed mapping tool, ActionKit and Action Network are just some of the tools we work with. We run experiments to maximise our reach and continuously explore new tools and processes that will help us achieve our mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Improve the user experience of 350's public-facing digital platforms
- Websites, online actions, emails and maps
- A/B Testing
- Generate ideas for improving our systems' interfaces.
- Design, test and implement those ideas with the help of a developer
Make internal interfaces that help our staff do their best work
- Design and improve internal back-end interfaces so that it's easier for staff to use our systems to their fullest possible extent
Provide UI/UX expertise and training
- Consult with other teams and help them better understand how to create good user experiences
- Help train staff on UI/UX basics and best practices
- Use your knowledge to help the Product team create a roadmap for the future
Contribute to 350's design culture
- Work closely with 350's existing design staff and consultants
- Offer feedback and your unique perspective on design issues like branding, printed materials and more
- Knowledge and experience working with web-based digital interfaces
- Understanding of current UI/UX best practices and processes
- Ability to communicate UI ideas visually using tools like wireframes, user flows, live mockups, etc.
- Good communication skills (critical for working remotely)
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working both independently and in teams, highly responsive, and able to lead initiatives as well as take direction from others.
Position Type: Full-time
Application Deadline: Although we hope to begin interviews during the week of June 1st, this job is open until filled, or the hiring manager determines that they can no longer accept applications.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Compensation: competitive compensation based on experience
Location: Flexible - Remote
Instead of writing a traditional cover letter, please submit your answers to these four questions:
- What's one thing you'd change to improve the mobile experience of https://act.350.org/signup/webinaire-15c/ and why?
- Please share your UI/UX design portfolio with 3-5 projects
If you have suggestions for us on how to do this better, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback'.
To apply: https://350.org/jobs/?gh_jid=1639231