The Wirecutter via Jobspresso
Various US States & Canada
Oct 28th 2018
Wirecutter is seeking an Engineer for our growing technical department and newly formed Relationship product engineering team. The Relationship team is a tightly-knit group of product people, designers, editors, and engineers working to create and build innovative discovery products for Wirecutter readers. They will actualize and deliver the vision of building personal relationships with our readers, so that we can offer helpful product and service recommendations.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Play a critical role in shaping the future of the Wirecutter's products and technology by helping to define the architecture, tools, and technologies for the Relationships products
- Help define and champion the team's culture, norms, and best practices
- Collaborate with other developers, designers, product managers, and project managers to build and ship products that enhance our relationship with readers
- Work on systems that scale, both from a technology perspective and a product perspective
- Leverage existing solutions when possible, build only when necessary
- Mentor and learn from other developers
- Learn about our users and build products that bring them value
- Build software and champion practices that allow for quick feedback and iteration (via testing, logging, and monitoring)
As a person who is a good fit for this role, you:
- Approach projects, tasks, and unknowns with curiosity
- Believe that a strong team is a diverse team and value a variety of perspectives
- Enjoy sharing what you know and mentoring the people around you
- Enjoy learning and strive for self-improvement
- Communicate your ideas effectively and respectfully, and your progress early and often
- Have experience with or are interested in learning about React, Node, and GraphQL
- Are familiar with (or are willing to gain familiarity with) Python and PHP
- Have experience with or are interested in working on a distributed (remote) engineering team
Founded five years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, Wirecutter developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company's purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, they create straightforward recommendations that save readers from unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
Even with offices in New York City and Los Angeles, Wirecutter remains a highly remote culture, and open to employing people across the country (and in Canada!). Right now, we are eligible to hire in CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HA, IL, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA. If you live outside of these states but are still interested in working with Wirecutter, you are welcome to apply, and we will keep your information on file for future opportunities.
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.