Senior Web Engineer
Homer via Stack Overflow
Jan 14th 2019
HOMER is looking for a collaborative and results driven Senior Web Engineer to join our energetic, growing team. This is a remote role, but must be able to work East Coast hours. You will have a profound impact on a company that touches the lives of children, parents, and teachers across the globe with one of the most celebrated reading and learn-to-read platforms in the industry. We are looking to create world class digital learning experience available. Your work will help build a beautiful, personalized experience to meet every child's specific needs as they learn to read, love to read, and read to learn. Overall success in this position means you have helped the children using our products find the lessons, stories, and other content that best fit their age and interests.
HOMER is a venture-backed, high-growth business that offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits in a creative, flexible environment that invests in professional development
As Senior Engineer on our growing Web and Android team, you will be responsible for improving and maintaining several websites and web apps and contribute to the backend infrastructure that supports them as well as potentially developing games, lessons, and other interactive educational content consumed by a growing number of cross platform web and mobile apps. You are a maker at heart and have experience in and temperament for mentoring others on your team and across engineering. You will focus on elegant and effective technical solutions that enable Homer's vision described above. As you grow, you will participate in growing our technology platform to support the needs of rapidly growing user-base. Above all, you should care about delivering quality software in a sustainable and timely manner.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to your team members on a team distributed in several time-zones using agile project management methodologies.
- Collaborate effectively with your stakeholders (product owners, animators, illustrators, UX designers, engineers, data scientists and others) to define and refine requirements.
- Lead technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts.
You must have:
- Sound Computer Science fundamentals (Bachelor's degree in CS or related fields preferred).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience (or Undergraduate degree in Computer Science and 3 years of relevant work experience).
We are also looking for:
- Knowledge of full stack engineering especially how scalable frontend and backend systems interoperate.
- Knowledge of deployment technologies in cloud hosted environments like AWS.
- Knowledge and experience with GraphQL.
- Experience developing web or mobile 2D games, interactive apps, or animation systems.
- Ability and openness to switch programming languages as necessary.
We like people who are:
- Results oriented, hands-on and passionate about our industry (education) and our consumers (children, parents and educators).
- Collaborative, and thrive in startup environments.
What you'll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- A chance to have a big impact
- A chance to bring a love of reading and learning to children globally
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.