Senior Software Engineer
DigitalOcean via Jobspresso
Anywhere in US
Sep 22nd 2018
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Senior Systems and Performance Engineer. Systems and Performance Engineers at DigitalOcean are the glue between software and infrastructure engineering. They are responsible for driving cross functional work across all parts of our software and systems stack, ensuring that services are healthy and performant to drive the delivery of both internal and external services.
This role is a mix of software and systems engineering and the team is composed of people with backgrounds in both disciplines. Even more so than those in other engineering roles, Systems Engineers must be outstanding communicators and bridge-builders across different parts of the Cloud Engineering organization.
You'll put your experience to work transforming mundane systems into massive data grids. You'll also help development teams design and implement production and development environments and address system needs in new and creative ways that go beyond traditional infrastructure methods. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Scale one of the fastest growing cloud companies in the world
- Solve challenging software and hardware performance optimizations problems across the virtualization stack
- Improve all aspects of reliability, including monitoring, availability, and documentation
- Design and develop new systems with an emphasis on minimized maintenance requirements, as well as maintain and enhance existing systems.
- Systems analysis design and debugging of new systems.
- Work with outstanding teams to improve tools, processes, and the software they support
- Managing capacity, designing systems architecture and performing technology refreshes
- Participate in production readiness reviews and provide feedback to engineering teams on best practices.
- Automate error-prone tasks to drive safety and determinism throughout complex distributed systems
- Debug mission critical problems in production
- Provide architecture and scaling guidance where necessary for all engineering teams
- Develop modules to communicate with various systems such as network devices, storage farms and servers
- Customize and optimize DO's virtualization stack which includes: kernel, kvm, qemu, libvirt and OVS
- Contribute to open source communities, including (but not limited to): linux kernel, kvm, qemu, libvirt and OVS
What We Will Expect From You:
- Linux kernel expertise and upstream contribution
- Experience as a software engineer, developer, or systems programmer in a large scale, distributed environment.
- Experience writing secure, testable and robust object-oriented code.
- Experience with one or more of the following languages: Golang, C/C++, Perl, Python
- Deep understanding of operating systems, virtualization, Linux internals and networking
- A track record of measurement, analysis, and critical technical problem solving in a fast-paced environment
- Experience proactively addressing software and systems reliability issues across all layers in the stack with the capacity to troubleshoot across network, database, OS & code as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An aim to design and build large, distributed systems
- A dedication to solve problems and deliver solutions
Why You'll Like Working For DigitalOcean
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You'll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you'll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We're also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.