Senior Scala Engineer - join the Reactive movement!
Cake Solutions - A BAMTECH Media Company via Stack Overflow
New York, NY
Sep 24th 2018
It's now been nearly 1 year since we were acquired by BAMTECH Media, and as a business, we've already achieved some major milestones which include launching the brand new EuroSport and ESPN+ streaming platforms. Our teams are now working on the build and release of the marque Disney SVOD platform that will be launching in 2019, and as a result, we have a number of key roles to hire in 2018.
Our New York team moved into the new BAMTECH engineering offices on W 17th Street at the start of this year, and with some fantastic new additions, we currently have 15 people on that team (with the bulk working on the BAMTECH Ad-Engine project). There is, however, still plenty of room for new team members to join us, and we'd love to add more Mid and Senior Scala Engineers to the team throughout the year. We want to talk with talented engineers who are either practising functional programming or interested in being functional (but some self-exploration with Haskell, Lisp, Clojure, or F# is necessary).
So what does being a Scala Engineer at BAMTECH entail?
You will have the opportunity to stay at the forefront of technology and apply a principled approach to software engineering, as well as having the opportunity to work on a wide range of interesting projects with our partners using Scala, Akka, Kafka, Kinesis and Dynamo. We aim to build software that is distributed, reactive and scalable.
You will also have solid communication skills and will be able to interpret the intricacies of the business domain, whilst also offering technical support to Tech Leads & the Senior Team.
What will you do:
- Solve complex problems using the most appropriate polyglot architecture.
- Be involved in a lively and challenging environment.
- Use the latest technologies and tools on modern hardware at scale.
- Work on challenging and varied business domains.
- Develop your technical understanding to support and build your career.
What we'd like to see:
- Demonstrable working experience with the Lightbend Reactive Platform, particularly Scala, Akka & Play.
- Experience creating scalable and reactive web applications with modern frameworks such as: Play, ScalaJS, AngularJS, ReactJS.
- Knowledge of applying object-oriented and functional programming styles to real-world software engineering problems.
- Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
- A strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
- An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
- A keen interest in technology and self-improvement. Examples include having an active Github account or completion of relevant Coursera courses.
- Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.
What can you expect from BAMTECH?
You can expect to join a engaging business that owes a lot of its success to the communities it contributes to. We are avid ambassadors of the technologies we use and loyal contributors to the communities we support. We are a diverse team that has been supporting Scala, DevOps and Agile communities for over 5 years with blogs, meetups, user groups and conferences, as well as contributing and maintaining OSS. If you want a role where you have the freedom to explore new technologies, as well as the encouragement to develop your own ability, then BAMTECH can offer that.
If you're interested in joining a growing startup that will be making a significant impact in the way consumers engage with media over the foreseeable future, apply here.