Senior Network Software Engineer
SUSE via Stack Overflow
Sep 24th 2018
Job Location: Virtual office, Europe, UK
Do you want to work on the most active Open Source projects?
We design, develop and maintain SUSE's Enterprise Cloud product, based on OpenStack. Our engineers work closely with upstream projects all over the world, to create our enterprise grade private cloud computing solution. We're seeking powerful, motivated and agile people to integrate the bits and pieces and to contribute to the community. We love to learn, share our knowledge and to give our customers the best experience.
As a Senior Network Software Engineer in the SUSE Research & Development, you work on a software architecture level, creating solutions for other engineers to work with. You are a role model in software design and implementation, but also in communication and in the interaction with the Product Management, the customer facing organizations like Support and Presales, and various open source communities that we interact with.
- Design, develop and maintain projects related to our SUSE OpenStack Cloud product with focus on networking. Specifically OpenStack Neutron, Octavia and LbaaS.
- Work with Product Management and Architects to understand customer requirements and break it down to stories in the backlog. Listen first, adapt and ensure customer success.
- Code solutions for customers needs in an effective and smart way.
- Review code written by internal team members, as well as externally by Open Source contributors.
- Contribute to architectural concepts and work with Architects, Product Owners, engineers and the Product Management Office on the implementation.
- Represent SUSE in conferences and meetings, work upstream with and contribute code to Open Source projects such as OpenStack and the underlying networking technologies.
- Assist in Proof of Concepts, work jointly with the Presales team on use-cases and solutions.
- Great experience in software development, specifically on Linux systems.
- Good understanding of OpenStack, preferably in the Networking Services of OpenStack.
- Good communication skills and a strong will to interact with other engineers, managers and external partners.
- Great debugging and profiling skills, also in situations with customers.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and work independently with minimal supervision in an agile (SCRUM) environment
- Strong communication ability through presentations, interpersonal, verbal, and written skills (emails, IRC) in English
- Solid experience with SDN solutions.
- Ability to easily cross cultural and organizational boundaries.
- Be an “easy to work with” person.
- Experience with configuration management systems (such as ansible, salt, ...)
- Experience with container technologies.
- Experience with Ansible.
- Experience with RPM packaging.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and TDD.
- Experience working with international distributed teams.
- Experience working with technology partners on joint solutions.
Why work with us:
- We are a tightly knitted global team that is passionate about Cloud technologies.
- We do upstream first and true Open Source development.
- We enjoy being successful as a team and consequently foster the SCRUM values focus, courage, openness, commitment and respect.
- Flexible working hours.
- Regular events to build up relationships and friendship within and across teams. These range from informal meet and drink sessions to themed multi-day events in off-site locations.
- Regular hackathons and workshops on company, department, and team levels.
- Opportunities for travel to conferences around the world.
- Be part of the global Open Source community.
- Work from home or any of the SUSE sites.
Don't forget point us to your publicly available code from previous activities in your application!