Senior API Developer
USA TODAY NETWORK via Stack Overflow
Dec 25th 2018
The API Services team is responsible for engineering and delivering cutting-edge services to aide in content delivery to end customers. These services support 110 news brands, and more than 110 million unique monthly visitors.
The Senior Developer will play a key role in architecting, developing and maintaining backend APIs and SDKs that support the content delivery systems that are consumed by our customer-facing products. You will be expected to design and deliver large scale, fault tolerant and highly available architectures. Golang, Kubernetes, and Docker are a few of the technologies you will use to deliver these services.
If you have a passion for rapid API development, automation, learning, challenging and bettering your peers, with a strong desire to operate in a full stack environment, you'd probably fit in well here.
- Design and Develop backend APIs in Golang that deliver content to our front-end teams.
- Execute code reviews, challenge assumptions and mentor others on the team.
- Provide planning for two week sprints.
- Provide day to day operational support for our applications.
- Improve and establish best practice around our application and infrastructure monitoring.
- Containerizing applications with Docker Scripting new solutions/APIs/services to reduce toil
- Research new tools to optimize cost, deployment speed and resource usage
- Assist in improving our onboarding structure and documentation.
- 50% - API Development
- 15% - Application Support
- 15% - Planning / Documentation
- 10% - Mentoring
- 10% - New Technology Evaluation
- Linux (CentOS/RHEL/Alpine)
- Nginx, HAProxy
- Couchbase, Solr and other NoSQL Databases
- Engineering high-performant applications with an emphasis on concurrency
- Agile methodology
- REST microservices
- Experience with golang, ruby, nodejs, python or comparable languages
- Testing, Testing, Testing
- gRPC and protobuf
- Amazon Web Services, Google Compute Engine Fastly Terraform Docker, Kubernetes, Chef Monitoring with NewRelic
- Experience developing REST APIs, SDKs and CLI toolsets
- Self-Starter that can operate in a remote-friendly environment
- Experience with Agile (Scrum) and test driven development, continuous integration and version control (GIT)
- Experience deploying to Cloud compute or container hosting
- 5+ years experience in Linux System Administration
- Experience with Chef or other configuration management tools