Product Design Manager
GitHub via Jobspresso
Anywhere in US
Dec 18th 2018
GitHub is looking for a Manager, Product Design to join our Product Design organization. You'll join our growing team of design leaders and help shape our products, people, and process. Our design leaders navigate their teams through complex situations, and make sure we're solving the right problems with the best solutions. We're about 25 people in the Product Design organization, and our team is responsible for designing all of GitHub's product capabilities, the workflows that make up the user experience, as well as design operations and design systems.
We don't believe in throwing designs over the wall, we collaborate together with engineers, data scientists, and product managers to build great experiences for our users. Product Designers at GitHub are encouraged to code when it makes sense to–from simple HTML & CSS prototypes, to collaborating on production code in Ruby on Rails and React.js applications. Everyone uses Git and GitHub in their workflow, including our leadership team. We write documentation in Markdown, open issues and pull requests to share information for feedback, and sometimes write scripts to automate our processes. Working this way means we get to use the same tools as our users and the people we manage.
- Inspire, motivate, and coach a team of designers to do their life's best work
- Collaborate cross-functionally with our product management, engineering, marketing, and senior leadership to deliver high quality and effective work
- Manage and develop a team of designers, setting clear goals, managing project loads, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for overall success
- Lead the design process for your team–from problem definition to design implementation
- Assist in planning projects by defining milestones, assigning resources, assessing risks, and helping the team meet deadlines
- Reports to the Senior Director of Product Design
- You've managed a team of product designers before
- You have experience developing designers' skills and career growth
- You have a portfolio of work that contains examples of interaction design for digital applications
- You can find the highest impact opportunities and iterate on them quickly while things are in motion
- You have experience attracting and hiring design talent
- You have experience working with UX researchers
- You have experience leading product strategy
- You have a technical background or experience working on developer tools
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.