Mobile Application Engineer
GitHub via Jobspresso
Anywhere in Canada
Jun 3rd 2018
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub.
We're looking for an engineer to join GitHub's Mobile team. You will work with the team to:
- Enable people to organize their GitHub world to fit how they work.
- Allow people to communicate with their team regardless of where they are in the world, in the office, or in time.
- Give team members the freedom to leave their development machine at their desk or at home, while still being able to stay connected to their team.
Your day-to-day work would use TypeScript and React Native to make it easier for teams to get work done.
A week in the life of a Mobile Application Engineer
Your typical week would include:
- Discussing and solving engineering problems with your teammates in Slack
- Collaborating with design and product management to understand the problems we want to solve and exploring how we can solve them
- Reviewing your teammates' pull requests and providing helpful feedback
- Opening a pull request to implement the next most important feature or fix the most critical bug
- Responding to feedback from design and product management
- Trying to reproduce a reported bug
- Sharing your status and collectively prioritizing tasks in the weekly team sync up
- Working with your engineering manager in your 1:1 to grow your team and career
Your responsibilities on the Mobile team would be to:
- Ship features that help people ship software
- Collaboratively prioritize projects and tasks
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback
- Translate interaction prototypes into production code
- Work alongside the web team to define and develop new APIs
- Help maintain internal infrastructure
- Foster an open source community around the products we ship
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 2+ years experience as a full-time software engineer
- Comfort working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team
There are only a handful of folks who meet all these qualifications. Is this you? Excellent, please apply! But we care most about developers that have a track record of caring deeply about shipping software that helps people with their work. If that is you, we want to hear from you.
- Experience with React or React Native
- Experience with TypeScript or static typing in general
- Mobile application development experience
- Willingness to develop on multiple platforms and languages
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 24 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 67 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.