Mid-level Rails Developer
Pixelcabin via We Work Remotely
Pixelcabin is an agile web development agency, focusing on e-commerce solutions for a wide range of companies. We work closely with Shopify expanding the native functionality with bespoke Rails apps that leverage Shopify's extensive API, as well as building fully-custom front-end experiences. We are a core Partner of Shopify, with advance access to upcoming APIs and features, and are always looking to push the boundaries of what companies understand Shopify being able to achieve.
Our team is small with steady growth and fully distributed, and working remotely has been part of our DNA since Day 1. This means you will find a great remote working environment focused around making your day-to-day enjoyable and efficient, both through excellent tooling (Slack, Rubymine), and a remote-only culture.
As part of a remote team, we encourage finding a setup that provides both the work productivity and lifestyle that suits everyone, even if that is something completely different for each person. Without geographic constraints, time and location can be flexible to fit around each team member's needs.
As our clients are also remote, we occasionally travel to spend time embedded in their offices, and this can also provide time as a team to come together. Outside of these trips, we also organise an annual meetup to bring everyone together for a few days to get away from our desks, bridge the remote-working gap, and plan for the future direction of the company - this year the team came together for a week in Hong Kong, whilst previous years have included California and Miami.
The company has evolved around a few core principles: quality over quantity, under-promise and over-deliver, and taking pride in your work. We take on projects that will present new problems for us to solve, and get excited about elegant solutions to complex challenges. Most importantly, we want to invest in our team - we encourage continuous learning and development and aim for a high degree of code-review as part of the day-to-day experience.
We are seeking a mid-level back-end developer (Rails) with exceptional attention to detail as well as being comfortable leading a software team for a given project. You will be exposed to a variety of different Rails apps and Shopify e-commerce builds, and given ownership of some upcoming projects currently in the planning stage.
We are looking for someone that has strong problem solving skills, experience building scalable applications, and is comfortable working in a TDD environment where code quality is prioritised over speed.
Working as part of a remote team has many great advantages, however you will be expected to be able to communicate clearly with the team over a variety of different mediums (including daily video calls, demoing / pairing via screen-share, leading weekly sprint planning sessions), take a task through to completion, and being comfortable in raising issues or questions along the way.
As a remote team across time zones, we have a flexible approach to work schedule, however we would usually expect you to cross at least 5 hours of 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday UK time during your first year of working with us.
Role and Responsibilities
- Design, build, and maintain clean, reusable, and reliable Rails apps
- Run sprint planning meetings and our lead code review process on active projects
- Deliver readable, well-documented and efficient code
- Develop code solutions that enable our clients' to reach their long-term goals
- Contribute to the evolution of our development workflows and tooling
- Prioritise implementing software best practices such as refactoring
Required knowledge and experience
- Excellent problem solving skills, with the ability to take business problems and translate them into elegant technical solutions
- Proficient (3 years minimum in industry) with Ruby 2+, Rails 4+, RSpec, Sidekiq, Git, Github
- Experience developing scalable Rails apps that can easily handle spikes in traffic
- Exceptional programming skills, ability to produce quality code that is maintainable, efficient, reliable and secure
- Experience developing APIs as part of an application's architecture
- Agile, lean, or similar development methodologies/experience
- Have experience in managing a team of developers
- Strong verbal and written communication in English
- High level of attention to detail
- Naturally organized and self-directed
Desirable knowledge and experience
- Experience with the Shopify platform
- Contributions to open-source projects
- B.S. in a STEM field or equivalent experience
- Understanding of Web Application Security (OWASP)
Salaries and Perks
- You can work from anywhere in Europe
- Salary of £35k - £45k depending on experience
- Flexible workspace allowance
- Professional Development allowance
- Team retreats in a different global location each year - suggestions open for 2019!
- A brand new laptop — developers usually use Macbook Pros, or Dell XPS 13s (feel free to ask for what allows you to do your job best)
- 30 days holiday
Pixelcabin is committed to building a culturally diverse company, and we value a broad set of opinions in our team. As we grow, we are looking to build a team with a range of viewpoints at its core, and we encourage applications from female and minority candidates.
To apply: Please send all applications to email@example.com, including your Github, LinkedIn, and any other relevant links. The email body should include cover letter content, with a CV as an attachment (only required if no LinkedIn). The subject of your email should be ‘2018 Mid-Level Rails Developer Application'. Application emails without this subject will be automatically screened-out and not read.