Machine Learning Engineer
Simon Data via Stack Overflow
New York, NY
Mar 16th 2019
Simon Data was founded in 2015 by a team of successful serial entrepreneurs. We're a data-first marketing platform startup, and we approach our work seriously; we tackle problems in a scrappy and disruptive fashion, yet we build for scale to support our clients at big data volume.
We are the first and only enterprise customer data platform with a fully-integrated marketing cloud. Moving beyond the limitations of both categories, Simon's platform empowers businesses to leverage enterprise-scale big data and machine learning to power customer communications in any channel. Simon's unique approach allows brands to develop incredible personalization capabilities without needing to build and maintain massive bespoke data infrastructure.
Our culture is rooted in organizational transparency, empowering individuals, and an attitude of getting things done. If you want to be a valuable contributor on a team that cultivates these core values we would love to hear from you.
As a Machine Learning Engineer at Simon, you will be responsible for building and optimizing smart systems that drive revenue—our statistical models are at the core of our product, and will only become more so as we continue to develop and add features. We take an approach to ML that is data-first, and requires principled modeling decisions: we don't believe in theory-crafting models before we have collected the data that will power them, as well as built out the business process that will continue to generate that data. In the model building process, we prioritize interpretable models whose training and performance yield insights about the underlying process, along with optimizing the selected objective. Finally, we believe that Don Knuth is more right about machine-learning models than anything else when he said premature optimization is the root of all evil. We only fix what needs fixing, but we fix it right.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Architect and implement the infrastructure used by Simon's data scientists to analyze and model client data
- Own the productionalization and performance of the statistical models deployed into Simon's predictive products
- Add new features to Simon's industry-leading marketing cloud that enable adoption of predictive models
- Coordinate feature launches between cross-functional parts of the business
- Mentor our less senior staff and help them raise the bar technically and professionally
- Collaborate with an engineering team who is passionate about quality, staying ahead of the curve, and teamwork.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of production-level software engineering experience
- Broad knowledge of machine learning models (and their performance characteristics) for classification and regression tasks
- Experience in at least one statistical coding environment (numpy/pandas, R, etc.)
- Fluency in SQL
- Specific experience designing and building machine-learning models
- Front-end development experience, especially in React/Redux applications is a plus
- Expertise in causal inference, experiment design, reinforcement learning, and related fields is a plus
- Excellent communication of statistical concepts to expert & non-expert audiences
Visa sponsorship for this role is currently not available
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.