Wirecutter via We Work Remotely
Feb 4th 2019
Headquarters: New York, NY
About the position:
Wirecutter Money is looking for an experienced web engineer to lead the development and drive the architectural decisions of its small engineering team with a focus on its newly established financial product database. This database is the lynchpin of Wirecutter Money's ability to provide accurate and up to date information to its readers, automate changes within content to our financial products, and build the foundation for the business.
The tech stack for Money consists of:
- Node.js, Express, and React
- MongoDB, GraphQL, and Apollo
- PHP, WordPress, MySQL
- AWS Lambda, RDS, etc.
This is a new position created as we continue our investment in Wirecutter Money. Money engineers operate within a distributed, agile, cross-functional squad that includes product, project, design, editorial, and other engineers. While some of this work will be self-contained, there will be a number of features or dependencies requiring collaboration across Wirecutter's engineering organization.
What are we looking for:
We are a startup within a startup within a big company. For that reason, we're looking for a strong communicator and a scrappy problem-solver. You should love to roll up your sleeves, find creative solutions, proactively identify opportunities, and deliver user and business value.
We're looking for an engineer that will help us grow this new venture from the ground up. As such, you should love to solve problems, be comfortable with uncertainty and be unafraid to make mistakes. Most importantly, you should have a deep passion for helping readers navigate complex subjects. We are a fiercely independent and reader-centric company. A deep appreciation to serve the reader above all else is a must.
- Collaborate with your squad leaders and stakeholders on the scoping, planning, prioritization, successful execution, and rollout of user or business features.
- Research and recommend technical solutions that best align with our product and business goals.
- Build scalable, high-quality, and innovative back-end features and workflows that underpin our credit card database and bank API integrations.
- Define new data models that are appropriately scalable, standardized, and reliable.
- Help to guide, define, and architect the tech stack behind the Money team's editorial operation.
- Design applications with extensibility in mind, while considering efficiency, and the burden of developer onboarding.
- Configure analytics events and tracking metrics for reporting.
- Write code that is simple, reliable, maintainable, performant, and functional.
- Share information and learnings with others.
- Perform code reviews with meaningful feedback.
- Test and troubleshoot with automated testing or manual quality assurance.
- Write and maintain user and software design documentation for our applications and infrastructure.
- Debug, support, and maintain our applications, environments, and related services.
- Improve our development workflow and infrastructure.
- Mentor and coach other members of your squad and the engineering team.
- Contribute to engineering initiatives as a member of Wirecutter's engineering team.
- You have 5+ years experience in software engineering.
- You have production experience with Node, React, and GraphQL.
- You have experience reliably integrating and handling data from multiple APIs.
- You understand the challenges of scaling and caching a Node.js back-end application.
- You understand the challenges of being data-dependant on multiple external APIs.
- You have experience building applications at scale on any major cloud provider (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- You can design & optimize queries, data sets, and external API data storage that helps generate insights and addresses reporting needs.
- You are thoughtful, clear, and persuasive in writing and in person.
- You have strong problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.
- You have experience listening to product and business users, and can translate their needs into actionable tasks.
- You are proactive and comfortable working quickly on a small, dedicated project team without micromanagement of day to day tasks.
- You are excited to play a pivotal role in Wirecutter's mission, innovation, and growth.
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about what you do.
- You have experience with version control, shell scripting, the Unix filesystem, and automating deployments.
- Ideally, you have experience with MongoDB or another NoSQL database.
- Ideally, you have experience with WordPress or another PHP based CMS.
- Ideally, you have production experience within a microservices architecture.
- Ideally, you have experience with Docker, and basic environment and infrastructure configurations.
- Ideally, you have experience in providing technical leadership, advocating for your team, and steering multiple stakeholders when needed.
- Ideally, you've worked as a member of a distributed or hybrid engineering team.
About Wirecutter Money:
Wirecutter is The New York Times Company's product recommendation service. The company was founded in 2011 with a simple mission: to save people the time and stress of figuring out what to buy. It became a part of The New York Times Company in October 2016.
This role will join a young team focused on providing guidance, reviews and recommendations in the personal finance space. Wirecutter wants to help students and early to mid-career professionals navigate essential financial firsts. We believe that by having the right financial knowledge at the right time, our readers can solve problems, maximize future financial opportunities and avoid common pitfalls.
In short, when it comes to starting their financial lives, Wirecutter wants to make sure no reader ever has to say, “I wish I'd known...”
Even with offices in New York City and Los Angeles, Wirecutter remains a highly remote culture with employees across the United States. Right now, we are eligible to hire in the following locations:
CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, VA, or WA.
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.