Kibana - Platform Area Tech Lead
Elastic via Stack Overflow
Jul 30th 2018
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. Diversity drives our vibe. We unite employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
About The Role
You will act as a hands-on technical lead and architect of the Kibana Platform team which is responsible for the architecture, tech stack, and plugin system in Kibana. This team lays the groundwork for other teams to build end-user applications and features. You will work on many key projects and initiatives, partnering closely across all Elastic teams. You will be driving the roadmap of platform team, reinforcing the quality of work, managing the technical debt, running the sync meeting, and tracking the project progress.
Do you love thinking about which type of sorting algorithms would be ideal for sequencing the execution order of node modules based on their dependency graphs? Do questions about which CSRF vectors exist that are not protected by CORS keep you up at night? Do you find yourself mulling over if ECMAScript module are imports idempotent?
This could be your dream job!
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you're working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don't have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on truly anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
Some of the things you'll work on
- Roll out an identical architecture between server and browser that's based on composable modules throughout a 600k+ line project
- Help define how developers build Kibana now and into the future
- Build tooling for handling isolated sets of npm dependencies across discrete modules
- Run a localization framework that is designed to scale with any number of rendering technologies
- Write comprehensive tests, including unit tests, service-level, HTTP-level, UI component, and browser-level integration tests that provide confidence in the stability and function of Kibana without human scrutiny
- Collaborate with other experienced developers both in Elastic and our open source community, including code and technical design reviews
- Actively lead the Kibana platform team roadmap
- Previous architect or technical lead experience on large projects with high level of autonomy
- Familiar with build tools such as webpack and grunt
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a great teammate with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills
Nice to have
- Experience with a statically typed language (e.g. TypeScript, Flow, Go, Java, etc)
- Experience using or managing the Elastic Stack and Kibana
- Record of inheriting existing medium-to-large scale projects
- Have worked on software that is distributed as installable artifacts (not a SaaS)
- Have worked on software with a plugin system
- Deeply competitive pay and benefits
- Stock options
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building phenomenal products
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.