Nov 6th 2018
Headquarters: Washington, DC
Our missionIn 2017, one billion immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
How you'll help us achieve itAs we move money all over the world at increasing scale, we need technology to do the heavy lifting to accurately account for our financials. We're looking for a full stack or back end engineer to join our Finance Team to build and maintain our accounting systems, in order to consistently provide accurate and timely financials. You'll also work with our accountants to provide financial insights to the rest of the company, and ensure that we have a scalable way of generating our books.
In your first few months, you'll
- Fully automate integrations with existing partners (debit card processors and aggregators in Africa), and integrate with any new partners who we engage in the future.
- Increase the speed with which our financial reporting is delivered so that we can close our books on the third day of the month, instead of the fifth.
- Build at least one tool that helps Wave team members extract the information they need from our financial systems.
- Develop an understanding of our accounting system to the extent that you can clearly articulate what maintenance needs to be done.
- 1-4 years professional experience as a full stack or back end engineer.
- Work authorization in the country in which you intend to be based.
You might be a good fit if you
- Can build simple input/output scripts without much difficulty and can read more complicated code.
- Know your way around a database, can write queries using SQL, and draw conclusions from quantitative data.
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done. You don't mind doing things manually and dealing with schlep but automate your work when possible.
- Are inquisitive, intellectually curious and can make sense of complex systems or information.
- Can work in a structured approach towards goals and pay attention to detail.
- Can easily communicate with non-technical folks and translate their feedback into code.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Bonus points if you
- Are based in Europe or Africa
- Possess hands-on experience with Python
To apply: Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. If interested, please send our Head of Growth, Taryn McKenzie Mohr (firstname.lastname@example.org), a resume as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.