Experienced Web Developers
Loco2 via GitHub
Aug 28th 2018
Loco2 is an online booking service for train travel throughout the UK and Europe. Our mission is to make booking trains anywhere in Europe as easy and affordable as possible, from epic international adventures to everyday local commutes.
We've been selling tickets since 2012 and having reached market leader status, we recently became part of the Voyages-sncf group. We remain operationally independent but this partnership has given us the resources to get to the next stage of our journey.
We're a close-knit, passionate and cosmopolitan team, and care deeply about building an inclusive, open and supportive work environment. We have a flexible location-agnostic approach to hiring, which means we hire the best person for the job, regardless of geography. Our team is spread across eight countries and we're growing fast!
Our success is built on trust, empathy and shared knowledge, with both customers and colleagues at the centre of what we do. We're proud to have an average rating of 9.3 out of 10 on Trustpilot after over 30,000 reviews and a 4.9 out of 5-star rating on Glassdoor!
Why join us?
- Freedom: base yourself in our bright, modern office in central London or take advantage of our remote-friendly culture by working from home.
- We offer flexible hours: work around your schedule and when you're most productive.
- Our team enjoys a healthy work-life balance and don't think caffeine-fuelled all-nighters are a good way to grow a company that's built to last.
- Team activities: Developer conferences, annual retreats and monthly Lunch & Learns.
- We have high coding standards, and follow best practices such as continuous testing and delivery.
- We strive to learn and improve together in a supportive environment as the wider tech ecosystem evolves.
- Our days are not full of meetings and distractions. Allowing others to achieve flow is a big part of supporting each other.
- Everyone is encouraged to ask questions, think creatively and suggest new working practices. We have a small team so your voice will be heard.
We believe that diversity of background and experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
Tech stack and role description
Loco2 is growing extremely quickly, and in this role you'll work with experienced members of our existing team to help us scale effectively without succumbing to the potential pitfalls of a microservices approach.
Whilst we don't expect you to be a master of the following technologies, our current software stack consists of:
- A Ruby library for communicating with train booking APIs
- A traditional multi-page web application written in Ruby on Rails, using CoffeeScript and SCSS
- AWS hosted Docker infrastructure, with continuous delivery
- A hybrid iOS app written in Swift
- A hybrid Android app written in Kotlin
An ideal candidate:
- 3+ years of professional web development experience
- You take pride in your craft and adhere to industry best practices for testing, code linting, peer review and clean modular maintainable code
- You have a keen appetite for self-improvement and growth, but don't hesitate to ask for help when needed
- You strive to discover and understand the root cause of problems, suggesting new and improved solutions, rather than treating the symptoms
- Fluent in English, even if it's not your first language. Our current team comes from more than 7 different countries and we're excited to add more!
- You're confident communicating and sharing complex information and learnings with both technical and non-technical team members
- Can work hours that have some overlap with London daytime
- Motivated by Loco2's mission