Achievement Network via Stack Overflow
Oct 24th 2018
Location: Flexible (within the United States)
Position is available: Immediately
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you will play a key role in crafting and implementing our technology vision for the organization. The ideal candidate will be passionate about both coding and management, and will be highly motivated by projects that simplify, modularize, and improve existing features and systems which are critical to the function of the organization. This position will leverage technical experience, attention to detail, and a strong sense of process to manage engineers, and technical projects to success.
ANet is flexible to remote working with appropriate experience and a history of successfully collaborating with and mentoring other developers remotely. Occasional travel to ANet's National Office in Boston will be necessary, so proximity to the New England area and eastern time zone is preferable.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Build, develop, and retain a high-performing and highly engaged team of engineers
- Work with members of the Product and Engineering teams to plan projects, measure progress, and ensure work is completed in a timely way.
- Help scope solutions to meet both timing and business requirement need
- Assist with release strategy; coordinate with other teams to deliver cross-team projects
- Identify, perform cost/benefit analysis, and advocate for promising areas of technical debt to address
- Identify bottlenecks or roadblocks to success of engineers and resolve yourself or raise to leadership team
- Actively contribute to our codebase through technical tasks commensurate with experience & technical interests
- Embrace and model best practices including code reviews, regression testing, and CI/CD..
- Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate.
- Champion ANet's core values
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have direct experience with the following management skills:
- o Managing Software Engineers
- o Agile and Waterfall development processes
- You have recent hands-on experience developing software using:
- Cloud-based infrastructure on AWS, including continuous integration and deployment
- RESTful Web Services
- Cloud-based data services, preferably with both SQL and NoSQL
- Java (preferred), Angular, and/or Go programming language
- Docker, database design, build & release processes & tool management
- You have an active interest in developing as a manager as well as continuing to code
- You are skilled in working closely with stakeholders to manage and design technology projects that meet the usability and functional needs of both internal and external users.
- You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative culture.
- You operate comfortably among a highly independent staff with diverse backgrounds.
- You bring an innovative approach to analyze, evaluate and solve problems.
- You are a skilled communicator
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet's Advance Equity and People Matter values.
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or related degree
- For candidates interested in working remotely, you bring demonstrated experience and previous success working remotely
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.