Jul 4th 2018
GitHub is looking for an engineer to join a growing team focused on building and extending our platform primitives within our Ecosystem group. This team is responsible for developing and expanding the availability of real-time data, as well as building on top of our REST and GraphQL APIs to receive and deliver data quickly and efficiently.
In this role, you'll work among a team of remote engineers to take ownership of existing platform primitives, as well as work cross-functionally to build completely new systems. You will collaborate closely with our API, Data and Product teams to start and deliver impactful projects that grow GitHub's Ecosystem. We work mainly in Ruby, Go and Java, but you will have the opportunity to use the technologies necessary to build powerful, resilient and robust primitives.
The Engineering organization is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. As a member of our team, you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have a real impact on how the world builds software.
- Writing robust, maintainable backend code
- Maintaining and improving APIs used by both GitHub and external integrators
- Creatively coming up with systematic solutions to problems within the platform instead of focusing on one-off fixes
- Improving the scalability and performance for our platform
- 3+ years building web applications at scale
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with relational databases
- Ability to empathize with a diverse range of engineers
- You are known for being a great communicator
- You can evaluate the trade-offs for building highly available distributed systems
- You have worked with queueing and streaming systems like Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc
- You have used GraphQL in production environments
- You have some experience working with Ruby and/or Go
- You have worked on distributed teams
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 24 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 67 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people from all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!