Developer - Productivity
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. via Stack Overflow
Oct 29th 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA or Remote
Come join the Wikimedia Foundation's Technology department. You'll be join the team that provides the development, testing, and deployment experience for all of our internal staff and external volunteer engineers. We care about the intersection of the developer experience and site reliability. Our team works remotely and so can you!
You will be leading the effort to improve overall developer productivity. We will want you to create a replacement for our homebuilt Vagrant-based local development environment using the latest technologies such as Kubernetes (minikube), Docker, and Helm. You will be working closely with several teams and volunteers in the community.
- Help engineer container based tooling for MediaWiki application development and deployment
- Maintain integration of developer tooling into a continuous delivery pipeline
- Proactively find and create productivity improvements
- Working in a highly collaborative and open organization and community
- Proficiency with software, systems, or devops engineering
- Collaboration skills are as, if not more, important as technical skills
- Experience with continuous integration/deployment systems
- Experience with virtualization or container technologies
- Experience with server configuration management software
Nice to haves
- Free Software experience
- Experience working in a remote-first organization
- Experience using a Kubernetes environment
- MediaWiki and/or Wikimedia project experience
- Golang experience
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location