Database Reliability Engineer
SurveyMonkey via Jobspresso
Pacific Time Zone
Aug 1st 2018
Founded in 1999 and based in San Mateo, California, SurveyMonkey is the world's leading platform for turning people's voices and opinions into actionable data — People Powered Data. Whether it's with customers, employees, or a target market, SurveyMonkey helps curious individuals and companies — including 99% of the Fortune 500 — have conversations at scale with the people who matter most. It's People Powered Data that allows them to understand not only “what” is happening, but “why.” SurveyMonkey's 700+ employees throughout North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific are dedicated to powering the curious.
In this role, you will work as a member of the data infrastructure team, focusing on open-source databases (MySQL primarily). You will work with the rest of the team to maintain our open-source data infrastructure, write automation, advise engineers on best practices, and participate in the on-call rotation. You will lead major database-related initiatives and cross-train. You will work closely with other members of the data infrastructure team, developers, product managers, and other stakeholders on projects from idea to implementation.
- Maintain, configure, tune, and monitor our database infrastructure
- Understand and troubleshoot issues across the stack (hardware, software, and network)
- Design and build automation & tooling around all facets of database operation
- Document administration and response procedures through runbooks & playbooks
- Train and mentor other data infrastructure engineers
- Participate in the on-call rotation
- Partner with engineering teams to improve data infrastructure usage and to follow best practices
- Experience managing open-source databases (MySQL, Cassandra) in large-scale environments
- Experience with other databases (PostgreSQL, MongoDB, or other) is a plus
- Experience with Linux systems administration
- Experience with configuration management systems (Ansible is a plus)
- Experience writing Python or other scripting language
- Excellent communication skills and a proven record of partnering with other engineers
- Experience with JVM tuning is a plus
- Experience with Cassandra or Solr is a plus
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k, paid holidays and parental leave, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.