SemanticBits via Stack Overflow
Jan 4th 2019
SemanticBits is looking for talented data architects to design and build sophisticated IT systems in the healthcare and life sciences domains. In this role, you would have the following responsibilities.
- Determine database structural requirements by analyzing client operations and systems.
- Create conceptual, logical, and physical database designs using data modeling approaches such as UML, E-R, XML Schema, JSON Schema, and SQL.
- Select appropriate database architecture and technologies - OLTP vs OLAP, relational vs NoSQL, document vs columnar, graph vs triple-store, etc.
- Implement and optimize physical database design to support performance, scaling, security, backup, and disaster recovery requirements.
- Work closely with application developers and data analysts to design and optimize data access, query, reporting, and analysis strategies.
- Provide guidance DevOps team for maintaining database performance by identifying and resolving production and application development problems, calculating optimum values for database parameters, evaluating, integrating, and installing new releases, performing maintenance, answering user questions.
- At least 4 years in a data architect role.
- Demonstrable experience with RDBMS products, such as Oracle, MySQL, and PostGreSQL.
- Demonstrable experience with NoSQL products, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, and DynamoDB, Elasticsearch.
- Very strong SQL query skills
- Must be able to effectively use a query planner and database metrics to analyze and optimize queries, table structure, indices, and partitioning strategies.
- Familiarity with other query languages is highly desirable - e.g. XPath, MongoDB query language, Elasticsearch query language, JSON Path, SPARQL, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in computer engineering or related field required
- Strong technical communication skills; both written and verbal
- Strong problem solving and structuring skills
- Ability to identify and learn applicable new techniques independently as needed.
- Experience in the healthcare domain, or with quality data sets is highly desirable.
- Experience with the following technologies is also highly desirable: Apache Superset, Tableau, Looker, Dremio, AWS cloud computing, Hadoop, Spark.