Core Systems Manager
Creative Commons via We Work Remotely
Aug 8th 2018
Headquarters: Not applicable, fully remote organization
- Manage servers and the software running on them (for example GNU/Linux, WordPress, MediaWiki, Discourse), provisioning, updating and replacing them as needed.
- Implementations and uptime of main website, G-suite, Slack, mailing lists, wiki, donation infrastructure, communications infrastructure, Github repos, and other core services.
- Support, tune, automate, scale, maintain, and document our operating processes including builds, code deployment, patch management, and troubleshooting of issues.
- Support ongoing maintenance and enhancement of CC programs, including development of CC's WordPress- and Python-based sites and services (e.g., Network site, Main website, etc), license translations, and the CC Certificate site (WordPress, Canvas).
- Handle problems from communication to implementing solutions, to post-mortems and process changes to prevent recurrence.
- Archive, maintain and integrate old hardware.
- Help coordinate on-site and remote desktop support occasionally, as needed.
- Manage Google Apps and staff laptop services (backups, provisioning, VPN).
- Manage cloud services (Gandi, CloudFlare, AWS, rsync.net, Bytemark etc.) including configuration and billing.
- Incorporate/recover old staff systems and data.
- Act as point of contact and, if needed, manager for contractors on prioritisation of, requirements gathering for and completion of contractor projects.
- Share plans and work-in-progress openly with CC's community and partners, respond to feedback, and encourage contribution and leadership among volunteers.
- Support the translations process with Legal and the global network, integrating and deploying new translations and supporting/developing the tools used to do so.
- Work with Legal to Ensure compliance with data protection law and best practice across our platforms.
- Prioritize tasks effectively and avoid surprises for your colleagues, community, and partners.
- Ensure that the need for additional contractors or in-house capabilities is raised and resolved in good time to handle any projected workload above that which can be handled in-house.
To apply: Please email your resume as a PDF to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject heading of “Core Systems Manager/ [Last Name].”