Agile Engineering Manager
MEDNAX via Stack Overflow
Feb 17th 2019
MEDNAX has grown from a single medical practice to a trusted health solutions partner with more than 10,000 employees and a presence in 50 states. Through our family of companies, we provide:
- physician services spanning the continuum of patient care
- revenue cycle management solutions
- performance improvement consulting
We invite you to grow with us and help shape the future of health care.
We are seeking a manager experienced in Agile Practices (XP/Scrum/Kanban/DevOps) to help grow, coach, lead, and serve engineers as we transform into a modern software development shop. We currently have a set of legacy applications and practices that we are in process of modernizing. The ideal candidate will understand hiring candidates with the right skill set, growing those who do not, taking a vision and helping the team to understand and deliver, serve the team in removing barriers, acting as a coach/guide, and providing a feedback loop/opinion to help guide the value delivery stream.
This role will allow a good leader the opportunity to take existing products in flight and maintenance mode and craft the path that modernizes them through building agile teams.
- As a member of the product development leadership team, help to grow and mature the development process to advance the maturity of the products we create.
- Drive release execution with cross-functional teams and represent progress and challenges to senior leadership, using metrics and KPIs.
- Assess the Agile Maturity of the team and organization, coaching the team to achieve higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- Assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Manage development projects with external vendors and partners.
- Coordinate multiple small teams all working towards common product releases, including core product as well as configuration and content developed outside the core development teams and process.
- Serve as the escalation point for the cross-functional team for impediments that do not have a clear resolution.
- Facilitate effective meetings regardless of location, as virtual team members are expected in our meetings.
- Must be the first to notice discrepancies and issues as they arise and elevate them to management.
- Drive a positive culture, by empowering individuals and fostering team work.
- Build a trusting and safe environment where problems are raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem solving.
- Continually growing one's craft by learning new tools and techniques to manage oneself and a team.
- Strong knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Knowledge and experience with Agile techniques – Automated Testing, User Stories, TDD, Continuous Integration, Testing, Pairing, DevOps, etc.
- Deep knowledge of Agile approaches and ceremonies: XP, Kanban, Scrum, etc.
- Proven ability to lead and influence without direct management responsibilities.
- Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Understand basic fundamentals of iterative development.
- Understand fundamentals of software development processes and procedures.
- Understand the value of commitments to delivery made by a development team.
- Understand incremental delivery and the value of metrics.
- Presentation of metrics and analysis needed for decision making within the organization.
- Ability to apply Agile principles to fit the needs of the organization.
- Bachelor's degree or demonstrated knowledge and experience required.
- 5 or more years' experience driving Agile programs for a commercial software application.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in agile equal to Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or PMI Agile Certified Professional